Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Why is this even a problem?

There are four roads near my home and work that are testing my patience lately. These four roads basically make a square, and connect my home and work place, so these are roads I travel on an almost daily basis.

It's not exactly the roads that are testing my patience, I guess, but instead it's the drivers on these roads. The drivers who routinely (read: any day I'm driving behind them) go 10 to 15 miles an hour under the speed limit. Also, just to make it a little more fun, on three of these roads if I'm going the speed limit, someone is tailgating me.

There really isn't any other way to go to or from work without using at least one of these roads unless I go way out of my way, which isn't happening. It could be my general burnt-out feeling lately that is making this more annoying than it may really be, but today I had the urge to lean on my horn until the guy in front of me stopped driving 35 in a 55. That's right - today's driver in front of me was going 20(!) miles per hour under the speed limit. Also, it's a hilly road, so there's no passing zone on the entire stretch I drive, so I can't even pass the guy who was driving me nuts today.

Does this problem even exist elsewhere?

9 Comments:

At 2/13/2007 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a HUGE peeve of mine. I HATE when drivers are going so UNDER the speed limit. One of the Interstates I drive on has three lanes. I am typically in the fast lane or the middle lane. I HATE when someone is in either of those lanes and not even CLOSE to the speed limit (which is 65mph). INSANE!! I feel your pain!!

 
At 2/13/2007 10:36 AM, Blogger Steph said...

Someone driving under the speed limit in Michigan? I didn't think that was possible!

People driving under the speed limit is a HUGE problem in the city where I live in Texas. It drives me absolutely bonkers, too. Also, people here don't cut you off like they do back home. Back home (Michigan) they truly cut you off, making a very sudden lane change, and they may or may not use a turn signal. Here, people never use their turn signal, and they don't cut you off so much as meander into your lane such that you're not sure if they fell asleep at the wheel or if they're drunk or if they truly mean to change lanes. Also, no one ever honks their horn. I have seen cars have to swerve into the median because another car was merging into their lane, and yet no horn honking happened AT ALL. It is crazy. The horn is there for a reason, people!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I almost died twice on the way home from work last night, so I'm feeling your pain. To answer your question, this problem DEFINITELY exists elsewhere.

 
At 2/13/2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

There are so many bad drivers in Richmond. Few things are more infuriating than being trapped behind a "Sunday driver" on a busy weekday! I feel your pain.

 
At 2/13/2007 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad drivers are one of my PEEVES. You are not alone, but alas, I don't know how to ease your pain other than to send you some chocolate...

 
At 2/13/2007 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It exists here, trust me. People are awful drivers in my town. And the roads are laid out with absolutely zero logic so there's usually only 1 option to get from point A to point B unless you want to make a ridiculously long drive even longer. Traffic here sucks. I hate it.

 
At 2/13/2007 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. i posted the picture you requested today!

 
At 2/13/2007 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh yes!!! I get behind Tractors when I'm late. I once was behind a herd of goats... (I blogged about that one).

I talk to the people driving around me. "Hey do you mind if I go through there?" or "Listen lady slow down!"

What tests me is when someon drives with their blinker on.

What's really bad is when that someone turns out to be me.

 
At 2/13/2007 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drive to work on a 5 lane highway and I still feel that way.

Maybe we should take the bus.

 
At 2/13/2007 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I can't stand that kind of driver. They are here too. We have the hills and no passing lanes on a couple of the highways we travel as well and it never fails, I always get behind a tractor or a farmer that is driving way too slow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home