Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Indulgences

It's the dead of winter, and I'm feeling like hibernating, snuggling with Aaron, and not much else. Here are some other ways I make it through this time of year:

  • Some people like to sleep in, but I like to go to bed early. I get to do it more often than I'd get to sleep in. I'm a morning person anyway, so it's not like the sleeping in ever happens. On a good day I can sleep in until seven, but even that's rare.
  • Our down comforter is heavy, thick, and puts you in a snuggly mood. There's nothing better at the end of a cold day than to get into a warm, comfy bed.
  • A cup of hot tea about an hour before bedtime relaxes me like almost nothing else. And Tension Tamer tea? Almost puts me to sleep. It's wonderful.
  • Weekends are the only time I don't eat breakfast in bed. I eat it while I watch the beginning of the Today show, to see what happened in the world while I was asleep. After that it's almost impossible to be in a bad mood.
  • Some weekends I make a double batch of Belgian waffles. Even though we can't even come close to finishing a single batch, the rest are stored in the refrigerator and we toast them like Eggos the rest of the week. They're so much better than the store-bought variety. You can do the same thing with pancakes. Hot breakfasts are such a great way to start the day when it's so cold outside.
  • My favorite way to eat oatmeal for breakfast: with peanut butter and raisins stirred in. Try it, you might like it. It's a filling breakfast and should hold you through until at least lunch time.
  • The recipe in my sidebar is my new favorite indulgence, but probably shouldn't be made on any sort of a regular basis, because it's not like they're the healthiest dessert ever. But, yes, molten mocha cakes - they're easy and quick to make, doesn't make enough for leftovers, really, and oh, so delicious. You definitely feel spoiled when you cut into one of those.

What are your favorite indulgences this time of year?

9 Comments:

At 2/07/2007 10:49 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

Mmmm...molten mocha cakes...

When it's cold, I love hot soup. I love a good potato or creamy tomato basil soup, especially.

 
At 2/07/2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Hi! thanks for coming by my blog - and I'm so glad you did, I'm lovin' your blog :)

It is so different in NC, it only stays cold for a couple of weeks, and it never snows hardly so for me it only seems like November feels for the rest of the country, lol. Therefore I have no indulgences, except on the days that it is really warm and I can wear my sandals. That for me is heaven!

 
At 2/07/2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Erin said...

oops, double comment - sorry!

 
At 2/07/2007 12:03 PM, Blogger Amie Adams said...

I use Hawaiian Tropic lip balm during the winter so I can pretend I'm on a sunny beach somewhere.

Here's keeping our fingers crossed for a better day today...thanks for coming by.

 
At 2/07/2007 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A big bowl of chili...

Long, hot showers...

Hot chocolate by the fire after a snowball fight...

Snuggling up on the couch with blankets to watch movies...

...and ordering in when the weather's shitty and I'm too lazy to cook. ;)

 
At 2/07/2007 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fleece sweatshirt pulled right out of the dryer.

Mmm.

 
At 2/07/2007 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curling up on the couch in front of the fireplace after the kids go to bed at night...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! And I'll be back here, for sure!

xoxo

 
At 2/08/2007 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living on the coast in Mississippi most of my life, the winters were pretty well non-existent but on the rare (seriously, Gulfport has about three weeks (not even in a row - spread out over Dec and Jan) TOTAL of ''winter'' and by winter I mean to say temps lower than 40ish) cold days when I was a kid, my mom would put our clothes in the dryer for a few minutes and wake us up with warm toasty clothes to hurry us out of bed. She would do the same with towels and pjs after showers/baths so we would get our hustle on to get into pjs and onto bed.

It's hard to recreate that in a truck but I give Deels credit; on the below zero mornings we've encountered recently in WI and MN he will take my shirts and underthings to the front of the truck and blast them in front of the heater vents for a minute to warm them up for me.

 
At 2/08/2007 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let's see. Hot chocolate or hot tea. Oh, oh my mattress heater for my bed. YEAH! I was so glad the bed in the 5th wheel was a queen. Now for the new house I am going to have to break down and buy a king size warmer. They are the bomb! I usually turn it on about an hour before I go to bed so the sheets are nice and toasty. Big bowl of chili or baked potato soup (one of my new favorites). I have to try your new favorite indulgence. Sounds yummy!

When I was a kid my mom did the whole dryer thing with our clothes and towels as well. Something she did that I haven't ever heard of anyone else doing, was using the hair dryer. If she was getting dressed and her clothes were cold she would heat them up with her hair dryer. I kind of do that too. McD laughed and thought I was crazy until this year. It took him 15 years to appreciate it, but we have had a horrible winter and since the dryer is in the barn I used the hair dryer to warm his clothes to help warm him up after a long day in the cold. He is hooked!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home